And what customers are saying is, they have these existing VMware systems, our product, System Center, actually manages VMware. We do a world-class job of managing VMware, so they can use one pane of glass to manage their legacy VMware environments together with their Hyper-V system.
One pane of glass to manage VMware and Hyper-V? Not so fast — in order to manage just a Hyper-V environment, you need a whole array of tools:
- Hyper-V Manager
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 Console
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 Console
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Console
- Third-party network interface teaming utility
- Server Core console configuration tools
- iSCSI configuration utility
- Failover Cluster Manager
- … the list goes on
And oh, by the way, you also still need the vSphere Client because SCVMM cannot configure ESX host settings — hardware, storage, networking, resources, etc.
The easiest way to get “single pane of glass” management for Hyper-V is to simply redefine the “pane” to be an LCD display:
Presto! Single pane of glass to manage VMware and Hyper-V.